In August 2020, One80 announced the acquisition of Strategic Underwriting Managers, Inc. (SUM), a Canada based Managing General Agent for property, casualty and other specialty insurance products.
With offices in Toronto, Montreal, and Lachine, QC, SUM works collaboratively with best-in-class insurers and reinsurers to design, underwrite and deliver market leading insurance products to brokers throughout Canada.
SUM is empowered with broad, in-house binding authority on behalf of the world’s highest quality insurance carriers. This allows SUM to provide coverage to the most challenging insurance risks in real time. In addition to SUM’s in-house authority, the organization maintains relationships with a broad group of insurance markets, providing best-in-class products and services to their brokers and clients. SUM is licensed in every province and territory in Canada and does not require broker contracts or volume commitments.
Our people literally wrote the book on this class insuring the first experimental farm in 2003 and following this industry through to full legalization, from seed to sale! We are a Canadian market leader with a large and diversified portfolio of Cannabis business. Our broad appetite includes everything from Licensed Producers to Retailers, Laboratories, Clinics, Suppliers, Shippers, Landlord Risks, Hemp, ancillary businesses such as cosmetics and pet foods, to name a few.
This broad appetite is combined with the most complete product offering in the industry including the following coverages available:
- Course of Construction
- Wrap Up
- Products Liability
- Product Recall
- Medical Malpractice
- Clinical Trial
Our CGL appetite is as diverse as Canada’s economy. We tackle risks presenting frequency and severity exposure, challenging claims histories, short-term and one-off risks, the new, creative, unusual, unique or complex, US sales, acute operation hazards, tough contractors, Sports, Leisure, Entertainment, participant injury hazards and everything in between.
- $2,000,000 policy limit, with easy access to more limits via our in-house Umbrella/Excess liability facilities
- IBC Based Occurrence, Claims Made and Wrap Up forms available with all the extensions your clients require, including “sudden & accidental pollution”, product recall, failure to perform coverage, and blanket Additional Insured/Vendors among others
- Abuse liability is available on many classes
Environmental coverage has emerged as a key component of a well designed insurance placement. This cover’s complexity makes partnering with a trusted and able Underwriter critical. Our experienced team offers competent advice and a full product suite. We can write project specific policies, contractors incl. hazardous material abatement, site specific risks, tanks, transportation, institutions, and many other classes. We offer relaxed survey requirements for smaller risks.
- Up to $10,000,000 policy limits on a variety of forms including site specific, non-site specific and project specific risks, for new and unknown conditions, available on either a full Environmental Impairment or on a Sudden & Accidental basis
- Up to $10,000,000 policy limits for Environmental Consultants E&O
SUM Insurance brings together a unique combination of innovation, expertise and commitment to this segment. Our products are aimed at Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology, Medical, Health, Food and R&D companies performing clinical research, with domestic and worldwide exposures – including the United States.
- Our form combines various casualty insuring agreements including premises & operations liability, products liability, errors and omissions, malpractice, clinical trial and D&O covers with limits up to $25,000,000, and access to more
- We have the broadest offering in Canada, with value added extensions like admitted cover for US domiciled exposures, pollution and bio contamination, tampering, recall, and cyber liability to name a few
Coverages along the supply and logistics value chain do not necessarily dove-tail with one another, making a competent underwriter’s guidance essential to navigating this line. SUM’s products are underwritten in-house by seasoned and dedicated Marine Insurance veterans.
We have limits up to $10,000,000 available on most insuring agreements.
Our offering includes:
- Carriers Legal Liability
- Freight broker/Load broker Legal Liability (a complimentary P&C package including NOA usually available)
- Direct Damage Cargo Insurance
- Stock Throughput Insurance
- Marine Liability (ship repairers, stevedores, marinas etc.)
- Hull and Machinery
Product recalls make more and more headlines every year. Despite the old adage, it turns out there is such a thing as bad publicity. Various forces are increasing interest and spending on this cover, not the least the financial damage recalls inflict.
Our standalone product covers contamination, tampering and extortion for a wide range of industries, from perishables like food and beverage, to “hard” goods like auto parts. See our Cannabis Insurance Programme section for Recall covers tailored to the unique requirements of Licensed Cannabis Producers.
- Up to $20,000,000 in policy limits available on a variety of insuring agreements, allowing us to tailor cover to your client’s risk and budget. Our cover provides value pre-loss with risk management assistance, financial protection and crisis management during an event and business interruption protection after an insured event.
SUM can service all of your E&O and D&O placements, often including complementary lines.
Our appetite includes, but is not limited to, primary and excess:
- Architects & Engineers (practice policies, single projects, design build, Product Manufacturers and Suppliers, Bill 124 and more)
- Environmental Consultants
- Miscellaneous Professional Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Insurance Brokers E&O
- Cyber, Privacy, Media and IP Risks
- Non-Profit D&O, Management Liability for Private Companies
- IT E&O for Media and technology professio
- Employment and Travel Agencies / Tour guides
Written standalone or as a perfect complement to our casualty offerings, we offer Property, Inland Marine and Crime covers on most risks. Our appetite includes standard and non-standard risks in the Recreation, Realty, Hospitality, Manufacturing, Construction, Wholesale and Retail fields.
- Up to $5,000,000 in limits on most risks
- Wide variety of coverage forms, including builders risk, contractors’ equipment and office packages
- Written on IBC based All-risks or Fire & EC wordings, replacement cost available
- Can include Boiler and Business Interruption
- Modest inspection and policy fees
Umbrella and Excess covers are a mainstay of any casualty programme. SUM Insurance offers the most versatile underwriting facility in the country, on a stand-alone basis or as the perfect complement to our in-house primary products. We want your best Umbrella business but we’ll tackle your toughest as well. We write transportation including heavy US mileage, US products, high-hazard construction, and municipal liability to name just a few of the segments we welcome.
- Up to $15,000,000 policy limit, CAD or US currency, with attachments as low as $1,000,000 on most legal liability policies
*Please note this is a brief summary of insurance coverages that SUM Insurance offers. For full coverage details refer to the actual policy wordings.